Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dress Up Games and Princesses


I have a thing about little girls playing dress up. When I buy a cute costume for a niece or the daughter of a friend, there are only a few of the token princesses that I will consider. After all, have you ever considered how many of the princesses that are included in dress up games are weak and overly willful? They require assistance from everyone and can’t seem to get things taken care of themselves. The favorite princesses – Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Ariel are the worst – one needed seven men to support her, another waited for a prince to rescue her because she couldn’t contain her curiosity and another gave up her identity for a man. Don’t get me started on Cinderella and her dependence on a fairy godmother and mice.

Of the princesses, I have a handful I like and can readily respect. Belle, the fearless girl who took on an unworthy suitor, rescued her father and learns to love a man for his spirit not his looks is okay in my book. Likewise I encourage dress up games for Mulan and Jasmine. Mulan is a tough girl who goes to war in her father’s place although she is not technically a princess. Princess Jasmine keeps a pet tiger and bullies around Aladdin, her father and his trusted advisor more than a few times. Those are dress up games I can get on board with.

No comments: