Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Dress Up Box


Growing up we played all kinds of dress up games. My mother was a big fan of dress up games, and since this was before internet, we played dress up games the old fashioned way. My mother made a box of her old clothing and interesting pieces she picked up along the way. The box was called the Dress Up Box and if you were ever in need of a tie to make a pirate eye patch or a long gown to wear in a fashion show, you could find it in the Dress Up Box.

Playing dress up games in my youth took on epic proportions. We would require all visitors to dress up. This included cousins and babysitters. As elementary-age students, it was always particularly impressive when a dress fit someone, like a babysitter for example. We had always assumed that the dress up clothes were much too big to ever fit anyone correctly.

Eventually the items in the dress up box got lost, cut up or throw away. The box disappeared, but the spirit of the game remains. To this day, I like to dig in my closet, pull out the more interesting pieces I have in there and see how they look when I try everything on. It’s like a game I play with my own sense of style and fashion sense.

No comments: